This was the first time I’ve ever made “real” Reubens and I have to say they turned out pretty good. I can’t decide which recipe I like better though… this one or my tried and true Vegetarian Reubens.
- 8 slices rye, pumpernickel, or French bread
- 10 ounces smoked, sliced beef or turkey
- Thousand Island dressing (I didn’t have any so I made my own using this recipe: Thousand Island Dressing Recipe)
- ½ cup sauerkraut, well drained
- 8 ounces Swiss or provolone cheese, thinly sliced
Butter eight slices of bread on one side. Turn bread over. Layer four slices with meat, desired amount of Thousand Island dressing, a small mound of sauerkraut, and sliced cheese. Top with bread slice (buttered side out). Fry in buttered skillet over medium heat until one side is brown. Turn sandwich over and brown the other side until cheese is melted and bread toasted. Makes 4 sandwiches.
From: The Essential Mormon Cookbook by Julie Badger Jensen