Sometimes you just want to have some good old comfort food. For most Americans, Hamburger Helper is/was a common staple at dinner time. Only problem is, it’s full of so much salt and additives that you can’t help but feel a little guilty eating it. This is a homemade version that gets rid of all that yucky junk you don’t need and leaves you with only the yummy cheeseburger goodness you want.
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cups macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef in a deep pan or pot (you’ll be adding a lot of liquid). Drain the fat.
- Add spices, sugar, hot water, milk, & pasta and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook until the pasta is tender.
- Add cheddar cheese and turn off the heat. Stir until the cheese is melted.
Adapted from Food.com