This was my very first venture into the vegan baking world and I was so happy it turned out successful! These had a ton of flavor, wonderful texture, and were very moist. In fact, I’d say these are probably the best muffins I’ve ever made. I’m definitely going to keep this recipe around!
Makes 1 loaf or 12-15 muffins
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (i.e. soy, almond, rice, etc.)
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups grated carrot (about 4)
- ¾ cup chopped pineapple, drained
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for about 10 minutes so the non-dairy milk curdles.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, & baking soda and set aside.
3. Combine the grated carrot, chopped pineapple, raisins and walnuts in another small bowl.
4. In another small bowl whisk together the sugar, canola oil, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cardamom. Now whisk in the non-dairy milk mixture from step 1.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Stir in the shredded carrots, pineapple, raisins and walnuts.
6.Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Pour the batter into the muffin pan making sure the dough is filled up to the top of the pan and domed (a level ice cream scoop worked well for this). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
To make bread:
Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 8 x 4 inch loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.